Jesus empowered and sent out His disciples on a preaching and healing tour through Israel. Part of His preparation for them was to teach them about what kind of attitude and outlook a disciple of Christ ought to have. Lest they or we be discouraged, we need to understand…
1. What the cost is for following Jesus.
2. We need to understand the goal.
3. We need to understand the comfort in following Jesus.
We need to be reminded of the Teacher/Student relationship.
Matthew 10:24-26 A disciple is not above his teacher, nor a servant above his master. 25It is enough for a disciple that he be like his teacher, and a servant like his master. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more will they call those of his household! 26Therefore do not fear them. For there is nothing covered that will not be revealed, and hidden that will not be known.
1. We are not immune from experiencing the same difficulties that Jesus experienced. Why would we, as His students, imagine that we will never have to suffer, when He suffered so much?
2. It is enough that that we be like Him. That is sufficient. That ought to be enough to satisfy us. That is our goal, to be like Jesus, in all things. Not to be like Him in the “good and easy” things only, but in all things. If they criticized and persecuted Him, we ought to be prepared for the same thing.
3. Our comfort is this: One day all things will be known in complete and unshaded truth. They called Jesus Beelzubub, but now it is clear that He isn’t, and it will be even more clear at that Great White Throne Judgment. We will be criticized, persecuted, and spoken ill of, but the truth will one day come forth about who we are in Christ. That revealing of who we are in Christ may happen from time to time here on Earth, but the fullness of it will happen when we are in glory. Followers of Jesus can take comfort that He will one day show our critics who we are in Him.
Dear Christian brother or sister: It is enough, it is sufficient, it is the goal…to simply be like Jesus. As you follow Him, do not be surprised at the powerful ways he may use you, but conversely, about the unfair treatment you may receive because of it.
Take heart: Your standing in Him will one day be as clear to the world as the noonday sun.